Monday, September 23, 2013

Austin Cox Mumford & Sons Critique

This is my first time hearing Mumford and Sons, and also the first video I have seen by them. Personally I think that having these actors made the song more popular because they made the song a lot more fun. I was thinking of "The Hangover" when Stew was on the piano lol and Jason Bateman shredding the guitar while Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis are crying/kissing made me enjoy the video greatly. Knowing that Mumford and Sons has humor makes me like them a lot more than I did before. Furthermore, the video most likely got more than half its views from people who thought it was funny and then told their friends about it. 
However, with the song title I expected this video to be more serious than it was and also the lyrics suggest the seriousness too. The meaning of the song I think has to do with a man who is afraid of being in love with someone and afraid of being tied down as he has roamed all of his life. I concluded this from the chorus "Hold me fast because I'm a hopeless wanderer"-he wants to change for this person but he can't change quickly enough. In addition the line "wrestled long with my youth" sounds like he doesn't want to grow old which is why he cant settle down with this person. Adding on, he feels if he runs away from responsibility he'll stay young. 
Lastly Mumford and Sons opened up their fanbase with this video whether they found it humorous or deep rooted. Nonetheless I will be listening as well as watching more Mumford and Sons.

Austin Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment